Full price tickets: 800 HUF
Discount tickets: 400 HUF
Group tickets (from 10 persons): 650 HUF/person
Family tickets (2 adults + 2 or more children up to 18 years): 1500 HUF
Combined ticket to all 3 exhibitions:
– full price: 1200 HUF
– discount tickets: 600 HUF
Photo and video ticket: 1500 HUF
Wedding photos: 10.000 HUF
Tickets for photos can be obtained at the ticket office on the spot. There is no restriction on photos during the opening hours. The furniture exhibits are only to be used as background for the photos, entrance into the scenery is forbidden.
Hungarian guided tour:
up to 10 persons: 1500 HUF
10 to 30 persons: 3000 HUF
30 to 40 persons: 4500 HUF
All our prices include VAT!
Tata Castle bears the marks of six centuries of architecture. This is partly due to its geographical position, its function as well as the different concepts of its owners.
According to some theories the landlord István Lackfi built his new seat on a rock in a marshy, aqueous terrain, the remains of which were found near the south-eastern tower. Only a handful of floor and stove tiles remained from the 14th century.
In 1397 Tata was taken over by King Sigimund from the Lackfi family, who were charged with treachery, and extensive construction works were commenced by the King. By 1409 the King spent a longer period of time here consequently the first royal palace must have been finished by that time. The comfort of the inhabitants of the castle was taken care of by a hypocaustum type heating system as well as a wine cellar carved into the rock. The cellar, filled with debris in the 16th century, preserved the finest of the relics of the 15th century castle.
According to ancient records, King Sigimund, who also became Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire, often spent months in the castle which hosted significant diplomatic events. The pawned Tata Castle was given over to the Rozgonyi family who then sold it to King Matthias Corvin in 1472.
Bonfini compared the castle to the well-known Italian water castles. King Matthias transformed the building into a renaissance palace. There were lavish green and mixed glaze tile stoves in the rooms, one of which has been reconstructed based on the original remains. The green glazed tile stove with the knight figure reflects the beauty of the golden age of Tata Castle. After the death of King Matthias the castle became a beloved accessory residence for the Polish King Jagiellonian Vladislaus II who also extended the building and added decorations. The last important event which in part took place in the Castle was the Parliament of 1510 during which the country joined the League of Cambrai.
Following the turning point in Hungarian history, the battle of Mohács, the role of the Castle changed fundamentally: it became a vital part of the border castle system built against the Turks the function of which was to impede the approach of the Turkish army towards Komárom. The towers surrounding the castle, designed by Italian warfare engineers and still seen today, were built for this goal.
After the Turkish wars the first reconstruction of the Castle was done in 1727 when the Palace was to be built in its place. In 1815 the open cloister was transformed into a Knights’ Hall. The historical Romantic three-division neo-Romanesque clerestory windows were added during the second great reconstruction of 1896 while preparing for the Emperor’s military campaign.
Since 1954 the Castle has housed the Kuny Domokos Museum. The excavations and historical restorations of the building were carried out between 1964 and 1973.
Address: 1-3 Váralja Út, Tata 2890
Phone number: +36 34 381-251
The Roman Lapidarium of the museum of Tata has a collection of stones from the county primarily from the villages of Azaum upon Danube (now Almásfüzítő), Szomód and Környe. The carved altar stones, inscripted plates and engraved tombs are complete with the Roman sarcophaguses and other carvings in the yard of the Castle. The most beautiful of all the carvings, found in front of the castle, is a pillar the sides of which are ornamented by god figures standing under arcades.
The Roman Exhibition
The Roman Exhibition hall, adjacent to the Lapidary, displays everyday or luxury items and other cult objects from the life of the province. The most significant item of our exhibition, the ornamented knight’s mask is displayed among Terra sigillatas, glass, bronze sculptures, ceramic and bronze vessels and jewellery.
“The Roman Room”
You will find a unique spectacle on the first floor. A completely restored room, once a painted hall, decorated with wall images from ancient Brigetio. The fragments from the 2nd century AD were found during the artefact preservations in 1961. The hall of murals was opened to the public after more than three decades of restoration. The scenes of the Pompeii style wall paintings depict events from Greek mythology.
Next to the Roman Lapidarium on the ground floor you will find the most wonderful carvings of the Castle from the time of King Sigismund and King Matthias as well as carved fascia, painted scenes, capitals, keystones etc. from the Benedictine Monastery of Vértesszentkereszt (12-13th century).
In the adjacent exhibition hall relics of medieval Tata and its surroundings are displayed, among them an ocarina (Shaman’s whistle). This hall features relics of the medieval manor-house and circular church found in the nearby village Baj and also the models of the revealed buildings.
The Rebirth of Tata
After the Turkish wars the former royal castle and tenancy went into private ownership and was bought by count József Esterházy in 1727. This marked the rise and development of the two market towns Tata and Tóváros. In the 18th century hall you will find period objects and manorial documents as well as the portrait of the proprietor József Esterházy Judge Royal and Ban of Croatia.
The History of Tata in the 19th Century
The 19th century exhibition is a collection of the artefacts from the derbies and the theatre from the heydays of Tata after 1867. The paintings on the walls depict the excitement of the coursings and views of the town around the turn of the century.
The History of the Guilds of Tata
In the flourishing market town there were a number of guilds, the most renowned among them the staplers, weaving the baize but the potters’ and millers’ guilds were well known as well.
The exhibition displays a collection of artefacts from the guilds’ life: guild chests, guild pitchers etc. The boot maker guild collection is presented in organic surroundings with all the accessories of a celebration: the open chest, the seal, the jug and cups of the guild but the freshly initiated apprentice’s masterpiece, a pair of little boots are also on the table. Beside the set-up the freshly restored church flags of the boot maker and the furriers’ guild are on display.
The Daily Life of the Nobility in the 18th Century
Tata was the centre of the Esterházy manor, its palace was built in the 1760s. Its noble origins are demonstrated by the period furnished interior and paintings. The highlights of our exhibition are the ornaments and household crockery made in the pottery manufactory of the Tata Manor which are not displayed in glass cabinets but in their original environment, e.g. on a laid table.
Among the products of the pottery manufactory of Tata you will find the famous crab ornamented plates, tabernacle cabinet shape ornaments and other delusively realistic dishes (e.g. cabbage bowl, parrot bottle). In the exhibition hall our visitors can see other peculiar noble accessories, such as the angel shaped figurehead of a galley.